The Bay of Plenty Times welcomes letters and comments from readers. Below you can read the letters we have published in your newspaper today.
Get hard on uncaring drink-drive criminals
Re: Two Drinks Max: Drink-drive figures baffle Minister Joyce (News, Nov 8).
The two drinks max will not stop those who do not give a darn as they are the ones now who repeatedly drink over the limit.
Why do we even give out drink-driving tickets?
They mean nothing to these people. Let's get them off our roads for good the first time they are caught.
Take the cars - sorry if it's Mum or Dad's or the wife's car - we need these people off our roads for good.
They are what is ruining New Zealand's good image.
Drunk drivers ... publishing their names in the paper, so we get to read their names in the paper but it's still just a big laugh to the drunk drivers.
We need the Government, for once, to get hard.
We can pass a law just by clicking our fingers for The Hobbit so let's get behind passing a law now to stop drunk drivers the first time they offend.
Let's do it for the many innocent New Zealanders who have lost their lives to these criminals .
ROBYN CHERRY Papamoa
Hoping for more
The latest results from the booze checkpoints are reassuring (News, Nov 8). Only 26 people over our current limit, among 6300 tested. Can we hope for more? (Who knows how many were between 50 and 80.)
Well the Government websites present a reassuring picture. Until you look at them carefully.
They present the material under the heading alcohol/drugs.
So the risk factors represent those who have taken drugs and/or alcohol. How can the Government decide on what the alcohol level should be on the basis of statistics that include alcohol and drugs together?
I believe that science will have little part to play in future decisions on this matter.
MAURICE MCKEOWN Papamoa
- I see another strand retailer has come down with the screaming me me. that part of town is over rated , no view just drunken punters, maybe the gravy train is off the tracks, Allan Jackson
- Legal aid a scandal. Why should taxpayer pay 4 sthose who choose 2 break the law. Same 4 land settlements. Pay yr own bills.
- Re the egging in papamoa. Tuihana drive is not the only place eggd our papamoa beach rd house has been hit at 2am and another time at midnight over the last 3weeks.
- ( cure all ) 4 drunk driving.binge drinking.drug taking & making.= put the price of tobako up. Easy peasy.
- Haloween. Forget it. R we vat desparate. Wat next 4th july independence day turkey
- Oh i so feel th hurt that sum of th hospital radiostls mst b goin thru.bt if yr car breaks dwn u want it fixd yestaday.get a life people.sure we al want mor $.if u dont like a sure income get out
- Acc privatisation- if you have private medical insurance why do we have to pay acc levies at all
When writing to us, please note the following:
- Letters should not exceed 200 words
- If possible, please email or use the 'Have your Say' option on the website
- No noms-de-plume
- Please include your address and phone number (for our records only)
- Letters may be abridged, edited or refused at the editor's discretion
- The editor's decision to publish is final. Rejected letters are usually not acknowledged
Text: 021 439 968
Fax: 07 571 8878
Bayof Plenty Times
Private Bag 12002