Tauranga detectives are investigating two brutal assaults over Labour Weekend, one which left a man in a coma in Tauranga Hospital and another with a fracture to his neck and a possible broken jaw.
The first assault occurred at a house in Judea about 8pm on Friday when a 35-year-old man allegedly jumped on a man, who was known to him, inflicting serious injuries.
The 49-year-old victim was initially spoken to by police but was believed to be in a coma in Tauranga Hospital over Labour Weekend. He suffered numerous facial fractures and broken ribs.
It is understood his injuries were not life-threatening.
The man's alleged attacker appeared in Tauranga District Court yesterday charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
The second vicious assault occurred near the Naked Grape restaurant on the intersection of Wharf St and The Strand in Tauranga, shortly after midnight on Sunday morning.
A 21-year-old Mount Maunganui man was taken to Tauranga Hospital with a possible broken jaw and a neck fracture as a result of the attack.
Detective Sergeant Pete Blackwell said police had spoken to those who were with the victim at the time but witness statements were slim.
"He suffered possibly a broken jaw and a neck fracture as a result of an assault."
It is understood the man's attacker was also with a group of people on The Strand at the time.
Mr Blackwell said it did not appear the incident had been caught on CCTV cameras on The Strand.
Anyone with information relating to the attacks can contact police on (07) 577 4300 or anonymously on 0800 SPEAK UP.