Residents of an Otorohanga Road house returned to find their home and possessions destroyed by fire on Tuesday evening.
Te Awamutu Volunteer Fire Brigade was turned out at about 4.15pm and found the house, which was well off the main road, engulfed in flames.
The smoke was visible from Kihikihi and the fire could be seen from the state highway.
Te Awamutu's appliance and tanker was backed up by an appliance and tanker from Otorohanga as firefighters tried to save what they could and prevent further damage.
Firefighters were on the scene for about three hours.
No-one was home at the time and Fire Safety Officer Ross Fleet determined the blaze was accidental.
He says an important fire safety message is to regularly check electrical multi boxes and if there is any sign there is an issue with safety, replace it.