There's no reason for Tauranga and Mount teenagers to complain that there is nothing fun for them to do this summer. They are invited to join in with the free fun and entertainment at the 100% Summer without Substances events.
For the second year running, the 100% Summer without Substances promotion is running in different locations throughout the city.
Made possible by sponsorship from ACC, this event aims to provide a series of fun activities for young people in Tauranga Moana encouraging them to enjoy life, substance free.
The events will run for 2 weeks prior to the Summerfest concert and starts today, with the final event at Summerfest 2013.
Activities youths can look forward to at these events include boxing sparring with instruction, Urban Dance Company workshops, volleyball, basketball shootouts, Waka Kai - mobile cooking demo's, Ngai Te Rangi mobile gym, mechanical bull and other interactive activities aimed to inspire and involve them.
Young people are also being offered an incentive to participate in more than one of the events around the city. Attending 3 or more 100% Summer without Substances events will earn youths a free ticket to SummerFest 2013. The offer is only available to those aged 11-18 years old.
The events, as the name suggests are all 100% drug and alcohol free and organiser's will be strictly enforcing this throughout.
Parents can feel safe about dropping their teens off at these events, as they will be fully supervised by staff from the agencies that have put this project together.
Organisations involved in this event are; Te Aranui Youth Trust, Merivale Community Centre, Ngai Te Rangi Iwi, Sport Bay of Plenty, Tauranga Safe City and ACC.
There is no cost for these events and no need to register. Teenagers can turn up on the day.
100% Summer without Substances events can be found at the following venues;
- Merivale: Surry Grove Reserve - 4:30-6:30pm - Wednesday 16 Jan
- Brookfield: Botanic Park Millers Rd - 4:30-6:30pm - Thursday 17 Jan
- Welcome Bay Community Centre - 4:30-6:30pm - Friday 18 Jan
- Mount Main Beach - 12noon-3pm - Saturday 19 Jan
- Merivale, Surry Grove Reserve - 4:30-6:30pm - Wednesday 23 Jan
- Brookfield, Botanic Park, Millers Rd - 4:30-6:30pm - Thursday 24 Jan
- Welcome Bay Community Centre - 4:30-6:30pm - Friday 25 Jan
- Mount Main Beach - 12noon-3pm - Saturday 26 Jan
For more information about these events visit the Facebook page.