Kiwis around the country are being encouraged to show their appreciation for Surf Lifeguards by supporting the fast approaching National Appeal Week.
The appeal week starts on December 2 and includes on Friday 7 December the iconic nationwide mufti day 'Jandal Day'.
Jandal Day is supported by Surf's Principal Partner State Insurance who has assisted with the creation of a new and improved Jandal Day website.
Proceeds raised go towards training current and future Lifeguards, purchasing essential rescue equipment and extending services to meet the growing needs of communities.
Collectors will be out in force from the North to South, encouraging Kiwis to give generously to the charity working to keep people safe at the beach this summer.
Surf Life Saving New Zealand CEO Paul Dalton says the National Appeal is an important annual event for Surf Life Saving to raise awareness about lifesaving services and raise much needed funds.
"It's all about protecting our community in the water. The safety of people on the beach is our core business and Lifeguards patrolling the beach is an integral part of that. The beach is New Zealand's favourite playground and with your support we can ensure it's safer for everyone," he said.
There are lots of other ways to get involved. Look out for collectors on the streets or make a donation:
- Online at www.surflifesaving.org.nz
- Text the word SURF to 4483 to make an instant $3 donation.
- Post your donation to: Surf Life Saving, PO Box 9205, Wellington 6141, Freepost 100280.
- Making a donation at your local State Insurance branch.
- Drop some cash into KFC's in-store and drive through donation buckets.
- Purchase jandals from any Quiksilver store.
- There are a large range of businesses and stores supporting Appeal Week, so whether you are near a club or not you can still give generously.
- When you visit a BP service station you can round up your purchase which will go to supporting Surf Life Saving.
- Attend Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park in Auckland on Saturday 8th December and give generously to our friendly Lifeguards or buy some great Christmas glow sticks, Santa hats and more.