Three fire trucks were called to a house fire in Tauranga South last night.
Tauranga Senior Station Officer Mark Keller said the fire was caused by an electrical fault in the ceiling of the house, on Fourteenth Avenue.
The elderly female occupant reported the fire and was at a neighbour's house when the fire crews arrived just after 9pm.
A crew from the Greerton station also attended the fire.
Mr Keller said crews were kept busy containing the fire to the roof space and opening the roof to let smoke out.
Inside the house, firefighters worked to protect the contents of the house from water damage.
They were at the house for about an hour and a half.