A company that's been around for 100 years and become one the country's leading suppliers of gardening products has been named the Tauranga Business of the Year.
Mount Maunganui-based Tui Products Ltd, led by managing director Don Forgie, was awarded the supreme award in front of hundreds of people at the Westpac Tauranga Business Awards at the TECT Arena last night.
The awards, which have been running for more than 20 years, was a black-tie event aimed at celebrating the efforts of some of the region's top business talent and recognising those who made a positive contribution towards economic development and growth of the region.
For Tui Products, taking out the supreme award was an honour, as it was the first time the company had attended the awards.
As well as the prestigious Business of the Year award, the company walked away with two other awards at the gala dinner - Excellence in Brand Marketing and Design and Manufacturing and Logistics.
When Mr Forgie accepted the awards, he thanked his staff and said the company's success was a result of hard work and commitment.
Head judge Allan McFall, of Direct Fuels and McFall Fuels, told the Bay of Plenty Times Tui Products Ltd was a deserving winner.
"They have got into the big chain stores like Mitre 10 and into other markets you wouldn't expect a business from Tauranga to get into. They have such passion and show excellence in brand marketing," he said.
"What we've seen here tonight are top businesses with excellent quality ... but Tui Products Ltd stood out above the rest."
Tui Products Ltd was recently awarded a Centenary Trade Mark Certificate in recognition of the Tui trade mark that was registered 100 years ago.
- ACC Workplace Safety Award: Waipuna Hospice;
- Excellence in Brand Marketing and Design: Tui Products Ltd;
- Customer Service: Salon One Hair and Beauty;
- Community Organisation: Waipuna Hospice;
- Retail and Service Excellence: Bay Family Home-based Childcare;
- Tourism: Adrenalin Forest;
- Small Business: Pacific Coast Technical Institute;
- Manufacturing and Logistics: Tui Products Ltd;
- Excellence in Business Leadership: Sheryl Dawson;
- Business of the Year: Tui Products Ltd.