Organisers of next year's Tauranga Arts Festival have received the biggest funding boost from the council's support of flagship events.
The festival has received $25,000 in ongoing annual support and $20,000 to help fund the festival's popular Strand Exhibition.
Funding of six flagship events totalling $160,000 was approved at a confidential meeting of the council.
The five other recipients were:
- $30,000 for the 2013 National Jazz Festival's downtown carnival and 17th Ave Jazz Village;
- $30,000 for the 2013 Aims Games' administrative costs;
- $20,000 for the 2012 Garden and Artfest's sculpture symposium and garden competition;
- $20,000 to assist Sport Bay of Plenty establish a Festival of Triathlon, subject to the preparation of a business case on the future of the Port of Tauranga Half triathlon;
- $15,000 guarantee against losses to assist Kart Sport BOP to shift the downtown street race to Baypark, subject to receiving a business case.