The Tauranga Fire Service was called to Mastercraft Kitchens when an employee opened up the workshop this morning to find it filled with smoke.
Tauranga senior station officer Nigel Liddicoat said the fire service arrived at the Glasgow St building about 6am.
"The fire was in the dust extraction system so when the employee arrived at work by 6am the factory floor was smoke logged. It took a while to work out where the smoke was coming from," he said.
Mr Liddicoat said the fire was contained in the ducting so a couple of sections of ducting were removed.
"If they start the extraction system up it can take all the hot embers up into the saw dust and that can be quite disasterous," he said. "There's not too much disruption for them."