The Tauranga Fire Service have decontaminated a man after he came into contact with the toxic herbicide paraquat.
A St John spokesperson said it was believed the man had ingested the toxic weed killer, which was potentially lethal.
The man was transported to Tauranga Hospital in an ambulance about midday today and washed down by fire service experts.
The man and St John staff members were washed down by the Fire Service decontamination unit outside Tauranga Hospital.
Four fire trucks and the Hazmat unit attended.
The man has been taken into the hospital.
* * *
The Fire Brigade decontamination unit has been called to Tauranga Hospital.
Western Bay firefighters were called to the hospital about 11.45am.
A reporter at the scene said firefighters had arrived and were setting up a decontamination tent.
Fire communications shift manager Steve Smith understood a person had been contaminated by paraquat, a herbicide that is toxic to humans and animals.
Paraquat is a highly toxic weed killer.