There's a good reason you're told not to smoke while putting petrol in your car but one man found out the hard way.
The Greerton fire service was called to a car fire on Waitao Rd about 4.50am today.
"A young fella got home and thought he'd put a bit of petrol in his car so he could get to work,"
Greerton station officer Paul van Kol said. "The moral of the story is don't smoke while you're putting petrol in your car."
Mr van Kol said the car was written off by the time the fire brigade arrived.
The fire was contained to the car and the man was not injured.
The Greerton fire service were also called to a fire in a playground on Haukore St in Harini about 3.30am.
Mr van Kol said about half a square metre of bark was buring but was unsure of the cause.